July 27, 2010

Raavan(an) - A Good Movie After All

Though Raavan(an) released on June 18th, I did not watch it till sometime last week. Due to all the negative feedback I received from everyone I kept postponing my plans to see the much awaited movie. Once I finally decided to watch the movie the next question was "Which one to watch? - Raavan or Raavanan". I immediately decided on Raavanan as it had Vikram and Prithviraj - both talented actors.

The story is pretty straight forward. The wife of a police officer is kidnapped by the terrifying outlaw to exact revenge. The reasons are revealed halfway through the movie. From there on the heroine starts seeing the outlaw in a new light.

I did not enjoy the movie for a number of reasons. Mani has used direct interpretations of the Ramayan characters - Karthik's character being one of them. We get that he has been cast as "Hanuman". There's no necessity to make him jump from tree to tree or block the way just like Hanuman did. I'm just glad they didn't end up cutting Priyamani's nose literally. It is also funny that for the climax sequence the heroine is able to conveniently track Veera's brother and subsequently meet Veera when all the police force is unable to achieve that task.

Mani could have found a better replacement for AB Jr. While Vikram was able to easily essay the role of Veera, it was clear from the first scene that AB was just not cut out to play the role. One positive aspect though - I ended up appreciating the cinematography and the locations better. I would therefore suggest watching the Tamil one if you want to watch some good acting. If on the other hand you want to be enthralled by wonderful picturesque settings, go for the Hindi one.

No comments: