May 8, 2008

Reactions...

Ever since I landed in US I have been amazed by the diversity of the country. You can find people from all parts of the world here. By and large everyone is friendly. Whosoever we meet we are greeted with a warm smile, a friendly nod of the head, a wave or a pleasant "Hi". If you are approaching a door and someone is just passing through it then they hold it open and wait for you. These are all pleasant mannerisms which are quite alien to most of us back home.

Back home we would walk hurriedly past people without meeting anyone in the eye. If unfortunately our eyes did meet we mostly maintained a poker face. There was no system of waiting for people with doors open.. ("Well if they couldn't run to the doors why should we wait and waste time?" was our thought)

Whenever we go out (walking, shopping, to a movie, dining...) we get to see wide variety of people - Americans, Mexicans, Chinese, Indians,... List goes on. And these are the way people react:

  • American meets American - The smile nod routine which may extend to a long chat.
  • American meets Indian - Again the smile, nod routine.
  • Indian meets Indian - This is a BIG NO NO. As soon as one guy or family spots another they either lower their heads or give the best frown or stare possible. Very rarely will the person smile at you.
I initially thought something must be wrong with the way I was dressed or maybe I was staring at them. But I realised nothing was wrong from my end. Soon I found from my friends that this was not my experience alone. All of them were given the cold shoulder. Upon more observation I found it to be true. Why is it that those who are capable of smiling at seeing people of a different nationality can extend their hand of friendship to them but not to people of same nationality? What was their fear? Or was it hatred? Did they dream of being the only Indian family in the entire USA?? Well I got news for them. U can't run away from fellow Indians :) The sooner they realise the more they will get to flex their happy smiley muscles. As for me I continue to smile at anyone I see. No necessity to change a good habit.

6 comments:

U said...

// If you are approaching a door and someone is just passing through it then they hold it open and wait for you//

yeah this is one thing which i liked really here

Unknown said...

I second.

prolly this could be the reason.. "Did they dream of being the only Indian family in the entire USA??".

Ardh said...

I guess the americans are as if assumed that they are the best civilization in the world and thus every time they try to prove it. Thinking the best and to retain it brings the best of you always. Guess if all these good social etiquettes can be put in a documentary and displayed in each school and colleges then atleast our next generation would bring out a much better civilization in INDIA.

jay said...

I am sure you never used to smile at anyone when you are walking on ranganathan street!!!! or say "hey how is it going?". we are just doing it for the heck of it with americans.

Aparna said...

Hey Jayanth how cud we even look at ppl's faces in such a rush?? We had to ensure we were on our feet always.. But henceforth I wudn't mind following the courteous ways learnt here :)

Unknown said...

wonder article appu