April 23, 2009

Book 1.75



If you had read my previous posts you will recognize this book. After all this is the book that motivated me to start this quest to finish 52 books in 52 weeks. Try as I might to be partial to this one book, I am unable to be so.

The book is basically the result of a blog. It follows the monotonous life of a secretary who wants something exciting in her life and so sets our to master french cooking by trying out all the recipes in Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" within a year. She also starts a blog detailing her trials and tribulations druing this culinary journey.

Though the book starts off on a very positive and energetic note, midway the Julie seems to lose the readers (or rather me). She tries to portray many events in a humorous manner to keep the reader entertained but personally I felt it was getting too repititious. We are constantly reminded, throughout the book, that she is the only solidly married person among all her friends. You seriously don't know whether she considers it a boon or a bane.

The imaginary world of Julia portrayed by the author is an utter waste of pages. I didn't find it remotely interesting. She could have taken a few lessons from other fiction writers to portray the imaginary world of Julia in a much better way.

Try as I might to finish this book, I had to give up 3/4th into the book. I just didn't find it funny any more. Though this book motivated me to try something new I will have to sadly give up on this book. I look forward to reading a better book by Julie.

p.s. This book is being made into a movie starring Meryl Streep and Amy Adams. So if any of you want to read this book, wait for a few days and watch the movie instead :)

2 comments:

cabs said...

after reading ur review u think anyone wud still want to read it?

Aparna said...

he he.. i will try to be more lenient next time :)