August 14, 2009

Silver Linings


I recently started listening to NPR and also follow the articles on their website. While browsing through their site I came across a recommendation for this book. Due to previous disappointments I decided to read the book only after seeing good reviews on Amazon.

Was I glad I picked this book!! The story follows the life of Pat Peoples, a guy who is brought home from the mental institution by his mother.

Pat Peoples:
  • is a firm believer of silver linings.
  • has lost a major portion of time in which a lot of changes have taken place around him - his brother is married, Vets stadium has been torn down and been replaces by Lincoln Field.
  • is waiting for "apart time" to get over to be reunited with his wife.
  • uses the "apart time" to become a better man whom his wife will like more.
  • hates Kenny G and hums each time anyone mentions G.
  • gets an Indian therapist - Cliff Patel - who is an ardent fan of Eagles, just like Pat.
  • befriends Tiffany (another person who is having emotional problems and is undergoing therapy) who promises to unite him with his wife if he participates in Dance Away Depression and helps her win.
Why does he hate Kenny G? Will he get back with his wife? Will he remember the forgotten parts of his life? What is the silver lining in his life? This forms the story.

The book is almost like a parallel version of Little Miss Sunshine. If you liked that movie you will love this book. It is a little predictable and of course it has to have a silver lining as that is what the book is about. Yet it is a page turner. I finished the book in 3 nights. Usually I don't draw parallels between actors and the characters portrayed in books but as I read the book I couldn't stop myself from casting Steve Carell as Pat Peoples and Edie Falco (Tony Soprano's wife in Sopranos) as Tiffany. When the book is made into a movie I would love to see these two play these roles.

This book has brought back my appetite for books so lets start the marathon.

No comments: