March 11, 2008

First Glimpse of USA

When we shift from one place to another we are subjected to a lot of change. The change is more profound if we shift to a totally different country. My move from India to US was similar. I must mention here that I have travelled considerably so there was no rude shock involved here.

One thing I find fascinating here is the mass quantity of food portions here. The first time I went to a restaurant here I was rather surprised by the size of the glass of water. It was HUUUGE. If I managed to finish that glass of water I would not have been able to eat anything. The same applies to the coffee that we get in any coffee shop such as Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks. It will take me a full day to finish the coffee :)

Another thing that strikes me as a little odd is that almost everyone keeps munching on something or drinking something non stop. I can understand the coffee cup in the hand of the person walking in the cold but why do people keep munching even while walking down the aisles of shops?


All this typing has tired me out.. I'm joining bandwagon too... Wait I'm coming. Where did I put my pack of chips and Coke???


4 comments:

Jan said...

hey girl...as u know im new in this country as well and i was also amazed at how large the cups are.. but they jsu have one sandwich for lunch!!!
and winter makes u hungry... can u blv tat i hv been eating a lot?

Aparna said...

U eating a lot is a wonder Jan... How much is lot to u btw?? Life's tough for a vegetarian here. If u eat non veg u get huge portions again :)

germinal dreamer said...

welcome to the land of Uncle sam!

Sriram said...

what a touching re-union :)